Rosemary & Thyme Braised Lamb Shanks - Adapted from Donna Hay
- 2 TABLESPOONS CORIOLE EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 4 X 350G LAMB SHANKS, TRIMMED
- 1 ONION, FINELY CHOPPED
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC, THINLY SLICED
- 6 SPRIGS THYME
- 2 SPRIGS ROSEMARY
- 1 SMALL SPRIG BAY LEAVES
- ½ CUP (125ML) RED WINE
- 2 X 400G CANS CHOPPED TOMATOES
- 1½ CUPS (375ML) BEEF STOCK
- 1 TABLESPOON BROWN SUGAR
- PEARL BARLEY/MASHED POTATO OR RISSONI TO SERVE (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based ovenproof shallow saucepan over high heat. Cook the lamb, turning occasionally, for 6–8 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 4–5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and wine and cook for 2 minutes or until reduced. Add the tomato, stock and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb to the pan, cover with a lid and cook in the oven, turning halfway, for 1½ hours. Remove the lid and cook, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with Pearl Barley or Mashed Potato or any side of your choice.