Bay Leaves - Spice & Co. 8gm
Spice & Co was established to provide PURE herbs and spices for people passionate about cooking with quality ingredients.
- Gluten Free
- Sugar Free
- Nothing artificial
- No additives, no bulking agents
- Unique 'chef' created spice mixes & rubs
Dried bay leaves are better suited for cooking purposes (than fresh) as they are less bitter. They add a clean & intense earthy flavour to dishes are best suited in slow cooked braised dishes, stocks, soups, stews, casseroles, meat loaves & terrines. Crushed bay leaves impart more fragrance than whole leaves. When using crushed bay leaves tie in a muslin cloth so they can be easily removed at the end of the cooking process. Bay Leaves are a key ingredient of Bouquet Garni.
Uses and Ideas:
- Make a simple French onion soup. Caramelise onions and garlic; add bay leaves and thyme leaves, beef or chicken stock, simmer and season. Serve in a bowl with a large crouton made with toasted sourdough or baguette and melted gruyere cheese on top.
- Confit (slowly braise in olive oil) diced onion, carrot, celeriac, celery, parsnip with bay leaves, rosemary, white peppercorns and sea salt. Serve with seared Salmon, grilled ocean trout, pan seared chicken breast, veal escalopes, rump, sirloin, minute steaks or grilled prawns.
- Add to spaghetti bolognaise, meat ragouts, beef bourguignon, “slow cooked” braised dishes & casseroles.