Spice Rubbed Butterflied Lamb Leg
- 1 butterflied leg of Temana Lamb
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 large garlic cloves , minced using garlic press
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp zest (= zest of 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Mix ingredients (except the lamb) in a large ziplock bag.
- Add lamb, massage bag well to get the marinade into all the meat cracks and crevices.
- Seal bag and marinate for 24 hours (3 hours minimum).
- Remove lamb from the fridge 1 hour prior to cooking (to take fridge chill out for more even cooking).
- Brush grates with oil then preheat BBQ until very hot. (Takes a good 15 minutes, lid closed, with my basic gas BBQ).
- Remove lamb from marinade and place on the grill, fat side down.
- Cook for 12 minutes, then turn and cook the flesh side for 8 minutes, or until the internal temperature in the thickest part registers 57°C / 135°F for medium-rare or desired pull temperature (see Note 3).
- Loosely cover with foil, and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
STOVE/OVEN (ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHOD):
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (all oven types). Place a rack on a tray.
- Cut lamb into 2 or 3 large pieces so it fits in your skillet.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sear until golden brown on both sides, around 2 – 3 minutes each side. (Note: It will not colour much more in the oven)
- Roast for 22 – 25 minutes, or until the thickest part registers 57°C / 135°F for medium-rare or desired pull temperature (see Note 3).
- Remove from oven, loosely cover with foil, and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Either slice it at the table, or slice prior to serving and pile onto a platter. Fabulous served with Greek Salad, Tzatziki and flatbread.